Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Dilemma

Having a blended family poses many issues...

Flashback graduates this coming Monday. We are given 10 tickets to attend. So, it's the immediate family, her maternal grandparents and her boyfriend. Leaving no ticket for her father to attend. Mind you, the two have not spoken to each other in almost two years. Nor does she speak to her paternal grandparents. And they did not even acknowledge her 18th birthday. So, I wasn't really planning on extending an invite to graduation anyway.

The problem lies in sending out announcements and invitations to her party to her father's relatives. I've stayed in contact with two of his aunts. One lives nearby and I'm not sure whether to invite her or just send the announcement so as not to piss off the one that lives out of state. It's quite a dysfunctional mess! And to top it all off, my current husband and I have reconnected with my ex-brother and sister in-law, as we were all friends prior to my divorce. Ex-brother in-law has not spoken to his parents or brother in 3 years due to some huge blowout. And not knowing who speaks to whom over yonder...I'm trying to play it safe.

And dilemma part two...I am only inviting my current husband's immediately family: parents, his sisters and their immediate families. I don't feel it appropriate to invite my current in-laws relatives as this is not their biological niece/cousin and don't want to feel like I'm begging for college $$. Does any of this make sense to you?

I have three more children with my ex, so whatever I choose to do with Flashback will be handled the exact same way for the others.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, wow. I rarely hear a family story that's as messy as mine! I don't have much advice, except for your current in-laws. I would worry that their feelings could be hurt over not being invited. I would call and say, "Hey, I'm sending you an invitation because I thought you might enjoy it, but there's no obligation to either attend or bring a gift."

    Of course, even that would only work with about 2/3 of my family. The rest need to have hurt feelings no matter what I do. Grrr...what a mess!

    I hope you get it worked out so that you can have a fun & joyous celebration with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete